Thursday, November 17, 2011

Embarking on a New Journey...

As many of you know I've recently become unemployed after more than 10 years at a regional environmental government agency, more than 5 at a state environmental agency and many years in the private sector prior to that. In this economy, jobs are hard to find, especially for those over 50. My husband has been ill and has been out of work for more than 2 years, making me our sole provider.

So... what to do? I thought about being the full time artist that I've longed to be, but my production of pieces has been sporadic... not enough to support myself, much less myself and my family.  I want to do something I'm passionate about, but don't have much capital for a business start up. I also wanted there to be an environmental element and a social justice element. There also had to be a spiritual connection. So I asked the questions: What am I passionate about? What can satisfy the environmental and human elements? What about the spiritual connection?  The answer... Tea!

For the past few weeks, I've been working on planning the opening of The Bohemian Tea House. I plan to blend, package and sell fair trade, organic teas and herbal tisanes under my own label. Primary sales will be online and at local farmers markers. My goal (besides blending and selling wonderful organically grown teas that help to support workers on the plantations) is to eventually have a mobile tea room selling and serving my own artisan blended teas (and perhaps some baked goods) at venues and events throughout the US, or at least the southeastern US.

I will need your help dear friends... I'll be asking you to answer some questions in future posts as I start my market research. Of course I'll be posting some about the process here, but will be documenting my journey on a new blog: The Bohemian Tea House. I've just now set it up, but if you get a chance later, please visit. And if I'm not posting as frequently on Pieces of D, it's because I'm working hard on acheiving my new goals. Wish me luck and stay tuned!

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful idea for you! Something you enjoy and have a passion for! I'm wishing you the very best! Your new blog looks great...I'm your first follower...I feel special! HUGS! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you lots of luck as all of it sounds sooo wonderful! I will spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations. what a great idea. good luck. i will follow your progress on the new site. i recently found a little shop that was selling your kinds of tea and oils. you could even get small little tins of the tea to take home and try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you every success Dianne
    Sounds very exciting indeed!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with your new venture. It will be good to have something that you love to keep you busy. I'll be thinking about you. Keep us posted as best you can.

    ReplyDelete