Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Tuesday T supplemental post...


(photo by D. Dianne Davies)

The comments I've gotten so far on my Tuesday T post have wondered about the String Lily, also called Spider Lilies.  These are lilies of the Crinum genera.

(photo from picasweb_google.com)

They grow from seeds that produce huge clumps of sword-like fronds of up to 3 or 4 feet in length.  They are similar in growth form and bloom stalk to an Amarilla Lily.  They tend to freeze back in the winter, but other than that they are perennials.

(photo from outdoors_webshots.com)

They come in white and a colored variety that has plum colored stripes running the length of each petal. These are cultivated, but there is a species that grows wild in Florida swamps.
























(photo from wildflowers.org)

Crinum americana - Swamp Lily

ps-- I think my Epiphyllum bloom is going to open tonight!!!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne,
    What an amazing flower I can't believe I have never seen one. They are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing your pics & info with us,

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely Diane. I have lilies but I think they need relocating as they have done nothing for two years !

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh these are just spectacular! bet they wouldn't grow in CO! oh well I can come to your bog to see them!! grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful! it looks a little like an agapanthus ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. These Criniums are so lush and lovely!! Just wanted to pop over and say hi! Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diane Your photos are tremendous! i love them....!@!!!! well done!

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are beautiful flowers - thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete