Friday, November 27, 2009

Well, Thanksgiving is over and it's Black Friday. I don't do the whole shopping thing this weekend... It's just too crazy out there for me. Plus, I'd rather make gifts anyway. So this weekend is always a quiet one for us. This time last year, Bruce and I were separated, I was in a wheelchair from a major motorcycle wreck and my ill and elderly father was living with me (and my dog, Fred) in my 1 bedrrom duplex apt. The only Christmas tree I could manage was the ceramic pinlight tree my mom made for me many years ago. Mom's been gone since 1993. The holidays have never been the same since she passed. For a long time, the holidays were very sad for me. My mom had always made them what they were. I tried to do the same for my daughter and for the most part I think I accomplished that. Now, she and her babies make them for me... without even knowing it. I'm so blessed that she came into my life.
Throughout my healing process (from my accident), Bruce was there for me and we were reconciling. Then, last spring he was diagnosed with cancer and I was not going to let him go through this alone. My father and I moved back into the house with Bruce. He endured 6 months of chemo and is now awaiting tests to see if it worked. It's amazing how life threatening accidents and illnesses will make you re-evaluate your life. Dad is back home now and Bruce and I are stronger than ever. I have much to be thankful for after a rather hellish year. Even during the year, after my father almost died, after my injuries and Bruce's illness, it was always in the back of my mind that there were others out there that had it worse than we did. Dad would recover, Bruce's cancer was caught in time for it not to be terminal and I was alive, not on life support (I wasn't wearing a helmet) and, though mangled a bit, I still had my leg and would walk again. So much to be grateful for.
So I guess my message is... If you think about it... no matter what we are going through, we are all blessed in one way or another. We should remember that... and if we can, go one step more and pay it forward. That's what we are here on this Earth for... to pass on knowledge, kindness and gratitude.



No comments:

Post a Comment