Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesday Tea...

I missed tea with everyone last week... but I'm here tonight... drinking my Tazo Rest.  It's pretty chilly outside tonight here in Florida.  I was going through some boxes this week and ran across a vintage tea pot I had forgotten about... Yeah, I know... Me? Forget about a tea pot? Well it happens once in a while. I was actually looking for my depression glass sugar bowl and creamer, which I found and "married" to the found tea pot!



They make a fine looking set... don't you think?

So what have I been up to lately? Well, I've been getting to know Geraldine...



Meet Geraldine, my new sewing machine.  She's named after my Aunt Geraldine or "Sis" as we all called her.  She was a phenomenal seamstress.  She could make anything out of fabric and thread.  When she lived in Washington state during the Korean War, she managed the Eddie Bauer sewing department.  Her husband, my Uncle Jay was over there serving in the Army.  The troops were having problems with their faces, mainly eyelashes, freezing.  She did some research and found that Badger fur did not freeze.  So she designed a parka with Badger fur around the face portion of the hood.  It solved the troops problem with the cold... and earned her a bonus... $500 I think, but back then that was a good amount of money... Still is for me...

I'll post what I've been making with Geraldine later this week.  Don't forget to visit the other Tuesday Tea participants. You can find them at Kimmie's.

13 comments:

  1. lovely tea pot! and I adore Tazo, but can only drink the herbals. wonderful new machine... I mean... Geraldine looks wonderful!!! xx's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geraldine looks like a fine machine. She has a big and beautiful reputation to live up to if she wants to keep the name of your inspiring Aunt !
    Sew well, Lovely One !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Dianne,

    I think I would take your cold any day of the week. I know what you mean, though. It all depends on what you get used to. I just saw a piece on the Weather Channel where the guy lived in Barrow, AK and wore a tee shirt all winter in negative 60 degree weather. I got cold just looking at him.

    I think your tea pot and set look very good together. Glad you made it to Tea Tuesday. It wouldn't be the same if you were gone two weeks in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found your teapot. Congrats on Geraldine. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely story about Geraldine and it is a great name for your new sewing machine.
    I love your tea pot and it does go well with the depression glass. Just lovely. I love Tazo tea and often have Tazo awake in the mornings. Nice having tea with you today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a gorgeous teapot! I may have missed a post or so, but you have new wallpaper--very pretty :) makes me wish for Spring--we still have two feet of snow but I saw seeds for sale in the stores today....Happy T day :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The depression glass is very pretty! Your tea pot makes me think 70s but in a more pleasant way than any avocado green with fruit motif I've seen. :) Love the handle, shape and feet on the pot.
    Hope you had a wonderful Tea Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi D, love the teapot and married cups! Very cool retro! Happy to know the story about sis, and I h0pe that you have fun with Geraldine, that is pretty cool too! Christen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that you named your sewing maching after your aunt. And what a wonderful story about her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an honor to be named after Aunt Geraldine! My dad was in the air force and over there during the Korean War.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely new addition to your home that Geraldine is-hope you have years of fun with her. Can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your new sewing machine...you'll have lots of fun sewing with a brand new machine! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. A marriage made in tea heaven !

    That is an amazing story Di - hope you and Geraldine have lots of fun together xx

    ReplyDelete