Monday, September 10, 2012

Metamorphosis...

My husband came in from the garage the other day and told me to hold my hands out. I did...


He put these in my hands... It's a good thing I'm not squeamish! A shed caterpillar skin and the resulting pupa...  Here's what the pupa looks like up close...




The underside (top) looks almost as if it has a face and on the back (bottom) you can tell where it will split open...

Photo source: www.carolinanature.com

To reveal this! An Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis) ... with a wingspan of 5 to 6 inches...

I've been working on an oil painting of a Prairie Warbler on gessoed purple scrapbook paper that looks like old wall paper. I'll post it when I'm done. But I thought I'd post a few of the backgrounds I've been prepping for other oil paintings...


Vintage sheet music adherred to 5" x 7" masonite and coated with with matte gel medium. After a few coats of the gel medium, comes a couple coats of clear gesso and then a final wash of clear gesso with a few drops of turquoise acrylic paint mixed in. Finally before it dries I wipe alot of it off with a paper towel. A singing bird will go on this background.


These vintage illustrated dictionary pages are prepared the same way, but are on 6" x 6" masonite, with the wash being green. I'll be painting Poison Dart Frogs on these.

Metamorphosis in progress... in nature... and in art...

6 comments:

  1. I would have completely freaked out if my hubby had put that on my hands kkkkk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply can't believe how long it's been since I've been here. I had a lot of catching up to see, including your new cubicle (small, but functional), your new paint, a new necklace with clay and ribbon, and your desk at home. Wow. I was nearly overwhelmed with everything you have been doing since I last visited. It was good to catch up, especially since my computer has been attacked by a virus. I sure hope all is well in your world and I'm going to keep up better, and visit more often, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your husband knows you very well if he knew you wouldn't leap a foot in the air :)

    you're off to a nice start with your new backgrounds .... I love old dictionary pages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your backgrounds are already lovely and inviting!
    AND
    what a great nature guy your husband is...I would be tickled with that kind of surprise too...that is one handsome moth!!!
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cool! what a lucky gal that your hubby knows you so well...we had a polyphemous (sp) moth at our cabin this summer...something to behold...seeing those BIG moths is a life event, in my opinion...can't wait to see your paintings!! i've been gone so much this summer and missed so much...love your new birdie avatar too! hope you have a great day, D!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love what you've done with the sheet music and dictionary pages! amazing looking caterpillar skin too...thanks for sharing!

    -juliette

    ReplyDelete