Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday Tea!

It's been so long I almost forgot about Tuesday Tea! I visited Collete and was reminded! So I'm hopping to visit the rest of the ladies after I post!

I'm enjoying a small pot of decaf black and Publix Lullaby, in my favorite hand painted Nippon cup, on my back porch and eating fresh Loquats from a neighbor's front yard!  So sweeet!

I have a question for all you tea drinkers and herb growers and users out there... I have planted some herbs in my new yard... I used to grow many more than I have now.. I grew scented geraniums, basils, mints and lemon balms... all that taste wonderful steeped in tea..

























I just planted this lovely French Lavender... I know it is used in sachets and cosmetics and such... but can it be eaten? I've not read anywhere that says it has use in cooking. I've seen teas with "lavender," but I don't know if the ingredient is what I have or something else called lavender. I'd love to be able to steep some in my tea... but I don't want to poison myself either...

Anyway... It's so good to be back among my blogging and tea drinking friends! Be sure to visit them all at Kimmie's!  If I don't get around to all of you tonight, I'll be back Thursday night! Happy Tea Tuesday!

14 comments:

  1. It's wonderful to catch up on your news, too! I'll take a cup of the tea, please! And the lavender is lovely...not sure about eating it! ♥ I would probably google it! lol ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the lavender. Enjoy your tea it is good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you back for Tuesday tea. I have no idea if you can use lavender in food. I've only used it to make bath salts and such. But I like the looks of that lavender. It's really healthy. Wish I could get it to grow here, but my climate doesn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dianne...Gosh, wish I could help you but I'm not sure. I know I've seen recipes using lavendar but dont' know if there are different kinds of it. I like lavendar liquid hand soap---have that in one of our bathrooms. Like it in hand lotion, too. Take care. Hope you find out. If you are unsure, stick with the hand soap. ha ha Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy T Tuesday :) Glad you made it back. The lavender looks like the edible kind, but I'm not an expert. I know some of the other ladies will be around and they will likely know more :) It's a lovely healthy looking plant! One thing about the rocks, they keep the roots nice and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I buy herbes de provence, and lavender buds aere definitely in there. Patty (magpie's nest) or Pat (ooglebloops) might know more.

    Lucky you to have fresh loquats and such nice neighbors!

    Happy tea day! Kimmie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the lavender... now I want some. Shade or sun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have used both of my lavenders for lavender syrup and tea flavoring with no ill effects. But, I'm like you, check it out!! Here's a link that may help, check the latin name of the lavender you have. http://www.wildroots.com/lavender.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. good question! if you have the latin name, i would google that...but i'm pretty sure true lavenders are not harmful to ingest...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a lovely plant! Happy Tea day!
    ~Donna~

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has been too long Dianne!
    So nice to "see" you again!
    I adore Lavender of every kind...I know that a little goes a long way when cooking with it
    Happy T Days to you
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dianne, You can surely eat the flowers of the lavender. I have a cousin in Oregon who grows it organically and sells it to fancy restaurants. It is good in tea, mixed with other herbs as herbs provence, baked in cookies, in creme brulee or custard. It can be strong, so you might only need a few flowers. Experiment!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. no matter what day it is ... it is always tea day at my place! beautiful lavendar!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Dianne...good to see you back! I don't have the answer about the lavender but it sure is pretty! I will have a cup of tea today and think of you!

    ReplyDelete